Explore Carson City’s newest attraction at the V&T Railway Eastgate Depot, rail bikes! Located at 4650 Eastgate Siding Road (take Highway 50 to Flint Road). These “Made in America” railbikes are innovative, and easy-to-peddle. Individuals, families or friend groups can easily access the breathtaking beauty of Carson River Canyon and with comfort. Seats slide easily, and the “peddle assist” motors make the 2% grade out of the canyon a cinch! People of all ages can enjoy a scenic ride through the beautiful canyon while socially distancing and getting exercise.
What to Expect on your Railbike Experience:
- At the depot, riders purchase their ticket and line up to board the rail bike.
- A team member will greet riders and provide a Covid-19/sanitary briefing and instruction on safe operation of the rail bike.
- A team member will convey to riders what is expected of them and prepare them for the ride down and back.
- The descent: Riders begin a smooth ride down the Canyon, lightly peddling together. A brake allows them to glide smoothly along the tracks, following a guide bike.
- Intermission-Destination: Upon reaching the canyon floor, riders step off of the rail bike to stretch and enjoy a free water/snack provided by V&T, enjoy the views, and take pictures. A Freedom Rail team member will provide a brief talk about the Comstock mining boom and rich history. During this break, other team members will turn around the rail bike with a turntable provided by by the V&T in order to prepare for the return trip up the canyon.
- Trip up the Canyon: Riders can activate the “peddle assist” motors to help with the return trip up the canyon to the depot. Along the way, riders can take pictures from various vantage points, enjoying the Canyon’s grandeur. Once riders arrive at the depot, they may purchase memorabilia at our gift shop. Bikes are sanitized for next ride.
Soft opening Aug 1 – 6 and a Grand Opening Aug 7th.
Rides are for Ages 6 yrs of age and up. To purchase tickets please visit: vtrailway.com.