When visiting Nevada, you may notice historical markers throughout the state. Placed by the State Historic Preservation Office in Carson City, there are historic markers throughout the state. These provide a look into the history of Nevada, including information about historic sites and happenings.
They stand in tribute to the men and women who braved the elements, suffered lack of water and food and dealt with rough terrain to follow a dream of exploration and adventure. Throughout the history of Nevada, some of the explorers stayed, some did not – but all left a legacy to future Nevada generations of an adventuresome, independent attitude and spirit. The historic markers provide people who are visiting Nevada with a sense of the times, the vast distance involved within the states and the difficult conditions endured by the citizens. Nevada Historic Marker Guides are available from the State Historic Preservation Office on the second floor of the State Library and Archives Building, 100 Stewart St., and at the CCCVB Visitors’ Center, 716 N. Carson St., Carson City. To receive a brochure with a listing of Nevada’s historical markers, call the Nevada Commission on Tourism at 1-800-NEVADA-8
Nevada’s Capitol Building Nevada Historical Marker #25 Location: Downtown Carson City
Completed in 1871, Nevada’s splendid Victorian capitol was built of sandstone from the quarry of the town’s founder, Abe Curry. The octagon annex was added in 1907, the north and south wings in 1915. Notable features are its Alaskan marble walls, French crystal windows, and elegant interior.
Bliss Mansion Nevada Historical Marker #70 Location: at the intersection of Mountain and Robinson Streets, Carson City
Built by Duane L. Bliss, lumber and railroad magnate, in 1879, this was in its time the most modern and largest home in Nevada. It was the first home in Nevada entirely piped for gas lighting, and was built entirely of clear wood.
Nevada State Children’s Home Nevada Historical Marker #72 Location: at the intersection of Stewart and Fifth Streets, Carson City
The Nevada Orphan’s Asylum, a privately funded institution, was opened in Virginia City in May, 1867, by Sister Frederica McGrath and two other nuns of the Sisters of Charity. By 1870, most of its functions were taken over by the Nevada Orphans’ Home at Carson City, authorized in 1869 by the Legislature and constructed on this site. The first child was admitted October 28, 1870.In 1903, the first building gave way to a larger one, constructed of sandstone from the state prison quarry east of Carson City. This edifice, a Carson City landmark, served until 1963 as Nevada’s home for dependent and neglected children. In the 1940’s, its name was changed to the Nevada State Children’s Home. During the 1950’s, the name “Sunny Acres” was also used. The stone building was in turn replaced in 1963, in accordance with the modern concept of family- sized groups housed in cottages.
Government Building (1888-1970) Nevada Historical Marker #75 Location: at North Carson and Telegraph Streets, Carson City
One of several buildings of identical architecture built throughout the country during the Victorian period. It is now the last structure of its type standing west of the Mississippi River. The cornerstone was laid on September 29, 1888, and the building was first occupied in 1890. Judge Thomas P. Hawley directed the cornerstone laying and became the first United States District Judge to preside here. Bruce R. Thompson was the last judge to preside in Carson City. The court was moved to Reno, August, 1965. Sylvester H. Day was the first postmaster and W.E. (Bill) Dunfield the last when the post office was moved September, 1970. The building became the State Library in September, 1972. The Carson Opera House formerly occupied this site.
Dat-So-La-Lee Nevada Historical Marker #77 Location: at Snyder Avenue at the Stewart Cemetery, Carson City
“Myriads of stars shine over the graves of our ancestors.” Dat-So-La-Lee had seen some 95 winters, mostly in Carson Valley, when death came in 1925.She was the last of those Washo weavers whose ancient art had been practiced by countless generations. Gathering willow, fern, and birch with the aid of her husband, she wove into her masterpieces the legends of her people and their love of nature. Her baskets are unsurpassed for artistic conception and symbolic importance. She is buried in the adjoining cemetery, yet her memories and her visions are so woven into her baskets that she will live on to remind us of the history and unique tribal artistry of her people.
The United States Mint Nevada Historical Marker #196 Location: at the State Museum in downtown Carson City
The original Carson City building is a formal balanced, sandstone block edifice, two stories high with a centrally located cupola. The sandstone blocks were quarried at the Nevada State Prison.On March 3, 1862, Congress passed a bill establishing a branch mint in the territory of Nevada. The output of the Comstock Lode coupled with the high bullion transportation costs to San Francisco proved the necessity of a branch in Nevada. From its opening in 1870 to the closing of the coin operations in 1893, coinage amounted to $49,274,434.30.
Nevada has 253 Historical Markers. For complete information visit the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs Web site.