In the early 1860s, the four Olcovich brothers, Hyman, Joseph, Herman and Benjamin immigrated to Carson City from Prussia. Within three years, the brothers had started the Olcovich Brothers Store, a dry goods business, on the corner of Fourth and Carson streets. The Olcovich family soon became one of the most prominent Jewish families in Carson City.
Within a few years, the brothers were so successful that they owned several other businesses including the Sazarac Saloon, a drug store, a jewelry store, a Chinese wash house. By 1872, the brothers had built a family home at 110 West Fourth, where all four resided for a time. Within the next few years, the brothers built homes of their own. From June 1889 to July 1891, Isaac and Selig Olcovich, sons of Hyman Olcovich, published The Sun, a semiweekly newspaper.
Remarkably, Issac was 13 years old and Selig was 10 when they started the paper. In 1891, the two boys began printing The Weekly, which they operated until 1899 when it became part of the Carson Daily Appeal. When business declined in the 1890s, the Olcovich brothers sold their various enterprises and began to move away. Joseph relocated to San Francisco, Hyman settled in Denver, and Benjamin moved to Los Angeles. The Olcovich Brothers Store building later served as a candy factory, a saloon, a movie theater, and, in the 1930s, a mortuary.